Sometimes it can be harder to stay motivated during the colder, winter months to keep up with your runs. Here are a couple thoughts on staying on track in this lovely Canadian climate.
1. Join a run group (there are lots of free run groups around the city, i.e The Runner’s Academy on Mondays at 6pm!). The group will meet at a specific time and allow you to plug it into your calendar. Plus you can bring a friend and you have double the accountability!
2. Be sure that you have the right gear. Staying warm and wicking away moisture will help you stay comfortable in the cold weather and keep on truckin!
3. Just think! Think about how you will be gaining or maintaining your fitness over the winter and you’ll be that much stronger when you start your new year/spring training! You’ll thank yourself then!
4. There are always treadmills! Treadmills shouldn’t be used as a total replacement for running outside, but they are great training tools and can usually be found in areas that don’t include ice and snow.
5. Try a winter race for real or for fun!